When you’re choosing your wedding venue there’s lots of stuff you need to know to help you make an informed choice. Because, we know how overwhelming it is – even for the most modest plans -we’ve put this list together.
The venue walk through questions that follow will help you with your venue hunting.
Download a printable PDF of the venue walkthrough questions below:
Before you check your venue out, it’s a good idea to check the venue’s capacity. Is it big enough to accommodate your party? Too big and your party will look a little lost. We recommend that you:
Do some advance research
- How many hours is the venue available to you? What are the charges if your celebrations run over?
- What staff will they have available on the day? And is there a designated point of contact between them and your wedding contractor?
- Rehearsal – With a church wedding, you can arrange a rehearsal. Is it possible to have one in the venue you’re viewing?
- Consider noise levels. What time will the reception/party finish? And – what time do they want you to vacate the venue?
- Public liability insurance – who will need this? The venue – or you? And what about the vendors you are using? They probably will have their own but check.
- Security – is it needed? Does the venue provide any?
- Loading zone and parking – is it available to guests and vendors? Can cars be left overnight and what charges might that incur?
- Disability access – what is the venue like in terms of bathroom access for walkers and wheelchairs etc.
- Also for getting from the car park to the venue.
- Are the paths gravel or paved ( important for wheel chair access)
- Seasonal concerns – is there somewhere for coats, boots, umbrellas?
- Mobile heating – do they have mobile heating for outdoors. If they’re providing a marquee are they providing heating for it?
- Getting ready – do they offer anywhere? Is it included in the price or not? Ask to see rooms to assess for suitability.
- Lighting – If you do the walkthrough in daylight hours, think how it might look at night. Consider the lighting for a photo booth. backdrop lighting, ceiling lighting, the DJ. Will there be maintenance on the night in case of problems.
What follows are some venue walk through questions apropos ceremony layout and venue decorating.
- If space is available, consider alternative layouts: circular or semi-circular. Also, if you’re using the same room for both ceremony and wedding breakfast, where will the guests go while the room is being turned around?
- How many ceremonies per day happen in the venue that you’re looking at? How do they manage parking?
- Clear down after the event – does the venue do this? Or are your suppliers expected to? What are the exit times for vendors and rentals?
- Catering – is this on-site only? Does the venue have a list of preferred suppliers Or can you bring in your catering company?
- Alcohol and corkage charges – can you provide your own alcohol? What’s the corkage rates and is that per bottle or per person?
Things to think about regarding your venue dressing.
- Can you hang decor items on walls or ceilings? If so – how?
- Ladders – do they have them on site?
- Audio visual equipment – Do they provide everything – speakers and all? Or do you have to source that?
It’s a lot to think about isn’t it? I hope these venue walk through questions helps with your venue search. If you think you’d like help with finding the perfect venue then get in touch with us now and let’s see what we can do.